Tuesday, March 17, 2009

manliness.

It’s no secret that machoness isn’t my forte. For proof, just take a look at that first sentence. No macho man has ever used the word “forte.” But I use it all the time. One time, right after I used it, my father-in-law called me a metrosexual. It really caught me off guard. I didn’t know if his declaration was the type of thing where he’d recently learned a new vocabulary term and wanted badly to put it to practical use, or if he really thinks I’m a little on the femmie side. Either way, it got me thinking.

I’ll admit that I’ve long found myself partial to a nice pair of tight-fitting jeans and even once owned some maroon corduroys. But that doesn’t make me floppy-wristed. So what if I’ve never shot a gun or sliced through freshly dead deer hide with a pocketknife or even successfully closed a pocketknife? That doesn’t mean I’m any less of a man. And so what if one time when I was working behind the counter at a local frozen yogurt store a toddler asked his mom why I had hair like a girl? So what? If I hadn’t been occupied adding gummy bears to his sugar cone, I would have asked his mom why her son required Velcro shoes and spoke with that ridiculous lisp.

But what does he know? There are plenty of manly things about me. I have never met a jar I couldn’t open. I eat meat occasionally (even if most of the time it’s grilled chicken tossed over a cozy bed of organic baby spinach (dressing on the side)). And unlike the conventional metrosexual, I wouldn’t be caught dead within five miles of an open container of clear nail polish. Not five miles.

Frankly, it’s a good thing Angela and I had plans later that evening to pick out fabric for her new sofa, otherwise my day would have really been ruined.

4 comments:

angela hardison said...

Some things:

- I remember those corduroy pants like it was yesterday.

- I like your tight jeans.

- Meat is gross.

- I'm pretty sure I recall a moment a couple weeks ago where you were in bed reading and I was painting my nails with clear nail polish. You're full of it.

- New sofa? Sounds good.

Kathryn said...

It's odd that the offspring of a David Hasselhoff modeling look alike would even be considered a "metrosexual."

I just hope you don't start calling me butch since I have shot a gun and skinned a dear.

Alicia W said...

"tossed over a cozy bed of organic baby spinach (dressing on the side))"

Beautiful. And excellent use of the double parenthesis.

Chris said...

Im really enjoying your blog. It's quite amazing.
My wife is a graphic designer too and im a designer too, i can definitley mirror on this post in particular.
But listen, it takes a real man to stand up and say: "I like design and pretty things", and im one of those guys.
Well, maybe you shouldn't stand up while saying it, maybe in a low voice would be alright too. ;)