Monday, April 25, 2011

tattoos.

From what I can tell, tattoos are pretty hip these days. And by these days I mean the period from about 1960 to present. Despite the allure of the ring of barbed wire around what I can only presume was a once toned bicep belonging to the female night shift clerk at the gas station near my house or the illogic of Polynesian tribal tattoos on suburban white males, I highly doubt that I will ever indulge in such permanent hypodermic adornments for myself. Who among us has not looked back at photographs from high school and laughed at the ridiculousness of sagging pants or the frumpiness of a perm that seemed so right in the moment? It seems to me that proponents of tattoos are doomed to repeat this lesson over again, except instead of a photo album serving as a pre-requisite for the profound reminder that general fashion and personal tastes change, all one must do is look in the mirror. That's a pleasant thought: after a few years, your skin acts as the constant admonition that you have a hard time picking up on basic patterns. I do admire the confidence that such people have though. "Oh yeah man, I will never get sick of this Volcom logo emblazened into the center of my back. It will always be cool." And then three years later, Volcom is selling patterned Christmas sweaters in the little boys section at Target. This is not to say that I don't respect a person's right to get a tattoo. I absolutely do. Nor do I intend to convey that I have never encountered a tattoo that strikes me as nice lookin'. I certainly have. It's just that I, a man whose former and absolute abhorrence for brussel sprouts has transformed into a full-fledged love affair, simply do not trust my tastes to stay fixed long enough to justify such a permanent commitment. I just don't have those kind of feelings for foot roses.

On a related note, I find it fascinating, the unending expansion of what is considered an adequate amount or location for body art. Why, just a few decades ago a forearm anchor or a single punctured heart above the name of one's mother was deemed sufficient. Nowadays, there is hardly amount or area that is considered off limits. I was shocked the first time I saw a neck tattoo. I hoped that its owner was independently wealthy or could at least afford a whole collection of turtle necks for the next time he had to seek gainful employment. Because, at least to me, any neck tattoo, whatever its likeness, might as well be capital letters arrayed in a earlobe-to-earlobe swoop that reads "UNEMPLOYABLE." It seems as if the expansion of tattoos to the neck area only became generally popular as space on arms, legs, and chests became scarce, sometime around 2002. As a result, many of today's necks are almost full to the brim with the names of ex-girlfriends or oversized puckered lip prints that would indicate some sort of romantic encounter with a dolled-up pituitary giant.

I wonder where tattoos will venture to next. The face and head are obvious possibilities. But I think it is a well established fact that face tattoos highly correlate with mental illness, prison, or both. (But if that's the message you're looking to send to the world, more power to you.) Perhaps instead people will begin to think outside the box and start to have grafted to their torsos whatever undamaged limbs remain from car crash or heart attack victims. Think of all that untouched flesh--a blank canvas upon which one can illustrate his lack of forethought or express all his current brand loyalities! At the DMV, on the forms to apply for a driver's license, there will be a checkable box beside which are the words "Tattoo Donor," just in case a horrible accident strikes the driver down before he or she has time to memorialize on skin his or her own drunken decision making.

And until the day that limb grafting is considered to be cost effective, I imagine that folks will continue to cram more and more tattoos onto themselves. The only difference is that with so much body art already present, new tactics may have to be employed to ensure that the new tattoos can be noticed amongst the old. May I suggest italics? Underlining? Double underlining?

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I completely agree. I have three tattoos, they all have meaning to me, but if i could go back and just have a naked ankle, foot and shoulder i soooooo would. My husband has some REALLY STUPID tattoos, and sometimes he looks at a few of them and says, "that one was a dumb decision" and i look at them and think "yes, most of them were dumb decisions.

Rachel+Co said...

I think you missed a really important point here, Clint. There's a possibility of getting a cheetah pattern tattooed on your face. Surely that gives you second thoughts about this post...

clintclintclintclint said...

rachel, you must remember that my cheetah face dream is not about having the pattern on my face, but rather the face of cheetah surgically implanted onto me. there's a fundamental difference there.

Mrs Pua Lutui said...

Hey Clint... I completely understand your opinion. I have been on that side of that wall for years until my husband shed a little light on our culture as Polynesians. Now I will never understand why a white man goes out and gets a Polynesian tatoo not knowing anything about the meaning of the tatoo or the culture. But hey if that's what he wants then that's up to him. But I have a question for you... Does this blog apply to all tatoos in general or american tatoos? Basically I am asking if it applies to Polynesians that have cultural tatoos. I do know that there are Polynesians that have fallen into the Americanized trend of tatoos but there are a select few that stick to their culture. From an outsider looking in, what is your opinion about Polynesians that receive tatoos to honor their tribe, culture or a tatoo that defines their rank in their tribe.

clintclintclintclint said...

hey pua. thanks for the comment. as you can see, my post really only deals with the modern american tattoo as a pop culture phenomenon. every specific example i provide (nay, mock) is in reference to the types of tattoos that have become cliche or excessive, typically among american twenty-somethings in search of some semblance of coolness. i think polynesian tattoos are really a whole different thing with a whole different context. in fact, you'll noticed that i only mocked tribal tattoos as they appear on "suburban white males" for whom they have not the long-standing meaning, but are really just a trend as thoughtless as boy bands or jnco jeans.

and the whole blog post is hyperbole anyways, not really meant to be taken literally.

Jeffre said...

I would gladly join your opinion on the topic of thoughtless tattooing but would also subject a second review on those whom are so furiously aware of the their changing tastes would never subscribe to a piece of art for life-long adornment or inspiration, but instead prescribe themselves a permanent keepsake of an idea or a functional reminder.

Bottom line, I saw a guy with a tattoo that measured things and I think senile old people would be wise to get tattooed with their address.

Also worthy of mention, there is probably a worthwhile percent of crimes that get solved thanks to identifiable tattoos, so let's not outlaw it just yet.

Jenna said...

This girl I know, her husband is in the Army. Before he got deployed to Iraq the first time, he got her name tattooed around his wedding ring finger. I thought that was pretty cool. But that is the ONLY cool tattoo idea I have ever heard of.*

*Excluding Polynesian cultural tattoos.

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

How do you feel about perment make-up?

I about pee my pants in laughter after every volcom tattoo encounter. (I have to bring several pairs of underpants to the gym)

Anonymous said...

Hey Clint - Love the blog! Very funny. I was actually following your wife's blog for a while before I made the connection. Keep up the good work and stop by my blog sometime, I'd love to hear from you!
cameron