Tuesday, December 16, 2008

gift-giving.

I love Christmas time. Especially the gift-giving part. There are few things so satisfying as to watch a loved one animalistically tear wrapping paper from a boxed gift like flesh from a fresh zebra ribcage strewn lifelessly across the yellow grasses of the Serengeti. It’s thrilling. Then comes the wild, toothy grin of ecstatic appreciation and shouts of jubilee: “Oh my gosh! How did you know?” Finally, the giver and receiver embrace, together reveling in the success of an inspired gift.

But as intense an experience as it is to give the perfect gift, it is far more intense—though oppositely so—to give the dramatically errant one. The horribly telling pause. The scrunchy-browed look of miserable contemplation. The contrived assurances and poorly delivered thank-yous. It’s all part and parcel with the Christmas gift belly-flop. Everyone in the room knows the ill-fitting giftiness of a rock garden or wooden spoon set or tie dye t-shirt kit. But no one says a thing. The silence itself conveys the unfortunate message. It’s a situation everyone wants to avoid and that I’ve found myself party to one too many times.

That’s why this year, I’m not trusting my intuitive gift-giving instincts alone. Instead, for the sake of Christmas, I’m investing in roofies—those pills that conveniently provoke unconsciousness and memory loss. Now it is a sad truth that these pills are often used for sinister and deplorable purposes. But that’s not how I operate. I will use roofies only for good. Casually and while sipping a mug filled with eggnog, I’ll chat with one of the members of my family. We’ll laugh and joke together, rehearse memories of Christmases past. And then I’ll ask them point blank what gift would most thoroughly complete their Christmas wishes. Just as they finish divulging the vital information, I’ll slip the roofie in their mug. “Drink up,” I’ll suggest. “It’s not every day that you get to enjoy eggnog without looking like a weirdo.”

Twelve hours later they’ll wake up with no memory of the event and I’ll be on my way home from the mall with the very present that will make them squeal. On Christmas morning, amidst piles of wrapping paper from less inspired gifts, they’ll open mine, look me square in the eyes and elatedly ask, “How did you know?”

5 comments:

mad white woman said...

You might need to save a roofie for me to slip into your drink just after you open my gift to you. Just so you forget another Christmas gift belly-flop.

scottrowley said...

They aren't roofies, they're "forget-me-nows" - very useful for illusions (not tricks)

by the way, my "verification word" for this comment was sconki - I think we should add that to the dictionary

clintclintclintclint said...

oh sweet arrested development. how i miss thee.

coca coca coca co.

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

I always knew you were a criminal. Who is your dealer? I gotta tell you the funniest thing that Kenny said. I asked him what his favorite part of Christmas is. He said " When the day is over". Of course I enquired why and he said that it is so stressful. I asked which part was the most stressful, the shopping, baking, cooking, Christmas cards, or planning? Funny thing, I do it all!!!

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

New post! I am still waiting for one about your niece and nephew. Maybe in honor of Roman, Delaney, Elsa, Lucy and now Baby A and Baby B you could do one about twins. In all honesty I don't care what you post about, just post something new. Love ya!